Bid Adieu to the sultry weather and try these refreshing recipes with Coconut.
India is the third largest producer of coconut after Indonesia and Philippines. From chutneys to our family- favorite dosas, idlis and curries, Coconut marches its way up the list. Coconuts which can be easily sourced can be cooked in myriad options right from our refreshing drinks to delectable desserts.
This week we bring you the most unconventional yet easy to make meals using Coconut.
Crispy Coconut Onion Rings
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 6 min Total Time: 21 min
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tbsp coconut milk
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups refined oil
- 1/3 cup water
- Mix all the dry ingredients i.e. all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Then gradually add coconut milk and water to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a semi liquid batter.
- Take a pan for heating oil on a medium flame to fry.
- Prepare three vessels. One to coat the onions with flour, second to dip in the batter and lastly to coat the rings with shredded coconut
- Repeat this process for a thick crunchy exterior.
- Add the rings to the hot oil for about 2 minutes and fry them until golden brown.
- Take them out and drain excess oil.
- Serve them piping hot with either ketchup or with mint chutney for the refreshing kick.
Pineapple and Coconut Mint Mojito
These Pineapple and Coconut Mint Mojitos are super gorgeous which pleases the eye as well as one’s soul. Courtesy: Jessica Segarra
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 10 min
- Toasted Coconut
- 8 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 Lime Wedge
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ cup of Coconut Pineapple Juice
- Put toasted coconut on a small plate.
- Rim the lip of the glass with honey and press it with toasted coconut. Set aside the glass to settle.
- Add the lime wedge and mint leaves to the glass
- Muddle them with a wooden spoon that they release flavors.
- Fill the glass with ice. Pour the lime juice and some soda for the acidic hit.
- Mix pineapple juice with coconut juice in the end.
- Stir gently and garnish with some extra mint leaves and lime wedges to make it super refreshing.
- Garnish some mint leaves on a skewer for a fancy outlook ( optional).
Note: We are keeping this drink as a mocktail and not as a cocktail.
Coconut Chicken Curry
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 50 min Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Courtesy: Lisa Agbanlog
- 1 kg Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into ½ inch chunks
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Diced Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Season chicken with some salt and pepper.
- Mix curry powder and oil. Heat a large pan over a medium-high flame and add the curry powder and oil mixture. Heat it for a minute so that the curry powder releases it’s natural oil and eliminates the raw taste of powder.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for a minute.
- Add chicken chunks and toss it with the curry oil mixture.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 7-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the centre and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar into the pan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer.
- Stir occasionally for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice and enjoy!
Oreo Coconut Ice-cream
Prep Time: 50 min
- 500 ml Coconut cream
- ¼ cup of Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Oreo cookies (according to your preference)
- Refrigerate the coconut cream overnight.
- Transfer the cream to bowl with sugar.
- Whip it for 4 min until you get a thin peak.
- Mix the Oreo cookies with the cream and transfer it to freezer friendly bowl.
- Allow it to set overnight and Voila.
- Enjoy this sweet treat with your family and tell us about your experience.
Note: Coconut Cream is different than Coconut Milk so make sure you choose the right one!
Let us know about your kitchen chronicles and share with us your favorite recipes using this tropical nut.