Back then in ancient Egypt, Cinnamon has been priced for its medical properties. It helps in slowing down ageing process, improves the immune system and regulates blood sugar. These small versatile brown sticks have a lot more health benefits that we might be neglecting.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants that protect the body from cell damaging agents. Cinnamon also has the power to cure various allergies.
Adding Cinnamon to savory dishes or baked goods because of its aroma can have an impressive change without much additional effort.
Let’s get over the cliché as we bring some sweet as well as savory dishes using Cinnamon.
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Cinnamon Cream
Sweet Potatoes and Cinnamon are like comrades. They go hand in hand.
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sour cream
For the Pancakes
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 6 cups shredded peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 cups shredded apples
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- ½ cup canola oil
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar and cinnamon until blended. Set it aside
- In a large bowl, Whisk 6 eggs along with flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper altogether. Add sweet potatoes, apples and onion in it. Toss to coat.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop sweet potato mixture by 1/3 cupfuls into oil; press slightly to flatten. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until it turns golden brown, using remaining oil as needed.
- Your Sweet potato pancakes is ready. Serve hot and crispy with the cinnamon cream.
Chocolate Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Courtesy- Bon appétit
A wicked combination, chocolate and cinnamon shouldn’t be missed when it comes to relishing a cake. Here’s all what you need
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup blanched hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain whole Greek
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Butter an 8” square baking pan; set aside. Toss Hazelnuts, chocolate, cinnamon and ¼ cup sugar in a bowl.
- Wisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, Beat the butter and remaining ¾ cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time.
- With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating the yogurt in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan; top with half of hazelnut mixture. Spoon the remaining batter over and smooth the top. Add the remaining hazelnut mixture.
- Bake the cake until the top is golden brown for about 40-45 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack
- Set the cake aside before turning out.
Cinnamon and Curry Spiced Chicken Thigh
Who said Cinnamon is a dessert ingredient? Try adding this spice to your meat and it’ll do wonders. I promise.
Courtesy- By Fit Men Cook
1 kg lean chicken thighs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Generous amount of pepper
Freshly chopped mint
- Set oven to 215 degree Celsius
- Add chicken thighs to a bowl and toss in the seasonings. Mix and thoroughly massage the chicken using your hands.
- Place the chicken thighs on a baking sheet
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 215C
- Garnish with freshly chopped mint to boost the flavors.
Apple Cinnamon Fritters
Let’s indulge in some guilty pleasures with these sweet fritters that has a spice kick.
Courtesy- Food Network
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 green apples, unpeeled, finely diced.
Whisk the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the butter milk into your blender and crack in the eggs. Pulses once or twice, just enough to combine thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder,cinnamon, sugar and salt and blend until a smooth batter forms, scraping the sides once or twice with a rubber spatula. Rest the batter for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the batter into a large bowl and add the diced apples, mixing well.
- Pour oil in a large pan over a medium high heat to fry.
- Carefully drop a tbsp of the batter into the pan. Keep frying for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Toss the fritters in the cinnamon sugar as they emerge from hot oil.
- Serve Hot with some Espresso!
Throw in some of these aromatic sticks and let the magic happen in your kitchen!